Friday 12 February 2010

It's twilight for intellectual reads



I've just finished reading this; using the time I should have been reading 'Tess of the D'Ubervilles' for my book group. And its fantastic, really enjoyable, page turn-able fun. Twilight, that is not Tess which has almost put me to sleep every time I've picked it up.

Tess is an allegory for what - the fact that no one really cares about poor Tess and her feelings (unsurprising as she is so so boring despite her misadventures) but Twilight is a good old fashioned story about love, and thwarted love, and the challenges that lovers face. OK, so it is not all that well written, and the descriptions are a little wordy (use wow words I can imagine Stephanie's editor saying, and she certainly does) but it is fun and it keeps you interested.

So sorry bookclub, I've failed the Tess test and joined the teenagers this month. Anyone else prefer Twilight to Tess? Or Tess to Twilight for that matter?

3 comments:

J said...

Oh no you've succumbed!

I like reading The Southern Vampire Mysteries/The Sookie Stackhouse Novels and any of the Anne Rice books. Worth a look if you like vampyre stuff.

As for Tess, she's on the shelf under a load of dust. Read her for ENgLit and never again since!

Sandra Morris said...

How can you not LOVE Tess of the D'Ubervilles?

It is one of my favourite books of all time despite the fact I didn't read it for the first time till I was in my 30s.

I do enjoy contemporary fiction, but nothing can compare to the beauty of language, and wealth of imagery in classic literature.

Give Tess another go. She deserves it.

Bev said...

I just don't think I can do it Sandra. Don't make me please.