Wednesday 3 December 2008

Dinner Time

We've been really busy at weekends so have cancelled our veggie box for a couple of weeks, and I've missed the inspiration it brings. So much so that I have to confess I've been planning meals around protein, rather than vegetables this week - although they are of course included. It's made me a bit bored actually, and we have had three curries this week; all different and I think I have finally learnt how to make them so all good. But really...the last was potato and pea, with spinach.

I did get pester powered in the greengrocers today to buy some strawberries. I was a bit suspicious about them, and their price but bought them anyway as clearly a lovely pudding. We were delighted about how lovely they were - maybe they had come over from Jersey; or a greenhouse. Not a bad thing to get pestered for fruit rather than sweeties or crisps either.

Next week it is back to the vegetables, and back to normal, especially with a trip to new Tesco planned tomorrow. And thanks to Richard for reminding me how much I love vegetables via his blog.

8 comments:

Martyn said...

Getting home on a Tuesday evening to my veg box (£8) is a simple pleasure I'm yet to tire of. You're right - I plan my meals around the veg and enjoy making sure I use it all, which means some great soups.

Richard de Pesando MA(RCA) said...

I forgot to mention that they were selling off 'spring' onions in Co-op yesterday cheap - hence tonight it's time for Irish Champ -

http://homecooking.about.com/od/vegetablerecipes/r/blv254.htm

Anonymous said...

Ah, spring onions were on offer in Sainsbury's too - we had a noodle stir fry last night, with spring onions, peas and sweetcorn.
Think I'll skip the Irish Champ as it involves champ, which I'm guessing is some kind of meat..
And you're right Martyn, veg boxes are fantastic. Even when they include challenge vegetables like...the green spiky cauliflower.

Anonymous said...

Lol, that you call it Irish Champ is a bit of an oxymoron!

Champ is mash potato creamed with best buttermilk and added scallions. Although normally it is served with pork it is great as a heart warming dish on its own on the bitterest cold days. Reminds me of my grandma everytime!

Anonymous said...

Der in my haste to reply I said oxymoron when in fact I meant Tautology!

Richard de Pesando MA(RCA) said...

exactly - it's a vegetable dish, not chopped up Irish Champions!!!

Anonymous said...

And I guess the clue was in the link for vegetable recipes! Thought it might be for chunks or meat, sort of said in an Irish accent, possibly after a beer.

Anonymous said...

In best Irish accent "bejeezus away with ya, will ya cop on!"