Saturday 7 March 2009

Perimenopausal Panic

Boys - turn away now. I'm concerned I've started my perimenopause. It's a bit confusing as it has come over from America, as a term that is, and is quite a vague description of the bit from mid thirties until mid forties when you actually hit the menopause. I've got shocking symptoms of a period that could lay me low for a whole day a month. And its heavy, really heavy.

No idea if I meet any of the other symptoms as I know further research will probably make me convinced I must take all the supplements I can, and that the actual menopause is starting. Which would be concerning, because although our family is complete (bar a dog) I still kind of like the option, that we could have another child, with a fair wind, and injection of energy.

Course it is probably all a bit over the top worrying about this, I'm only in my mid thirties - or is it over the top?

9 comments:

Cassandra said...

So - sorry to be graphic - but are you having a period that's been going on for a whole month? I honestly don't know but I would visit your doc if I were you, for reassurance. Try not to worry - easier said than done, I know. BTW - you're a bookseller?! How utterly fantastic. You MUST check out Life Happens Between Books - on my blogroll - she's a bookseller in London. Her blog is fascinating, I have picked up sooooo many book recommendations from her. Cx

Cassandra said...

Have just added you to my blogroll - thanks for link to mine. Cx

Anonymous said...

P'raps I was being bit overdramatic. It's just a day! But thanks for the advice.
Oh, and yes, have been bookseller in past - actually several times. My first career if you like, and most certainly the nicest one.
Now I just do ...um, nothing much!

Sandra Morris said...

I've never heard of perimenopause. If you're concerned, a simple blood test to check your hormone levels could provide some answers. But your symptoms could really be any number of things, from fibroids to endometriosis and all manner of 'women's troubles'.
Mid 30's is really way too young for any form of menopause. I wouldn't hang up your child-bearing credentials just yet.
Anyway, trust me, full on menopause is no picnic.....I'll be so glad when I can finally claim to be post-menopausal. Might even have a party to celebrate....woohoo!
PS -thanks for the heads up on the new doll's house shop in George Street. I'll check it out next week.

Grey Area said...

saw this - thought of you...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/features/article5853515.ece

Sandra Morris said...

Great article filled with juicy words like fecundity and lubricious....

However, think yourself lucky you weren't complaining of similar symptoms in the 1880's

http://explorehistoricalif.com/hysteria.html

We're doing it again aren't we... the 'not helping' thing...?

Grey Area said...

the best bit is...

'From this soon a tightness of the chest arises, faintings of the heart, breathlessness, hiccups, and other troublesome accidents, from which the woman sometimes dies.'

Anonymous said...

Jesus, now I'm even more worried. Spitting blood? Eyes failing? And losing viablity - SCARY.
Might just take the hormones now to prepare me...
Fecundity fab word too.

SeasideMoggy said...

I'm 37 and have been having night sweats and HOT FLUSHES!!!!!!!! for a few months now. My periods are regular and *normal*, I'm just starting to have slight "Perimenopausal Panic"...

...and then I think of my FREEDOM!! and the panic subsides :oD